Let us bring back the Golden and Lost recipe of India this season.
Benami Kheer has a remarkable and intriguing history which dates back to the Mughal era and has originated in the Royal kitchens.
It was called Benami (Without name) as the ingredient in the kheer Garlic… Yes Garlic!!! was kept a secret.
Bringing this recipe from the Royal Kitchens straight to your kitchen.
Try this super delectable kheer which tastes like creamy Almond kheer.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes includes time for soaking garlic slivers in vinegar.
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients and Quantity:
- Full-Cream Milk- 04 cups
- Garlic cloves, slivered- ½ cup
- Saffron strands- a pinch
- Vinegar- 3/4th cup
- Sugar- 1/4th cup / as desired
- Green Cardamom Powder- 1/4th tsp.
For the applying:
Silver leaf- 01 sheet
For the Garnish:
Garlic Cloves, slivered and sautéed in Clarified Butter- 04 nos.
- Soak the garlic slivers in Vinegar for 25 minutes.
- Wash them thoroughly in boiling water, 3 to 4 times, so that the garlic is free from its pungency and the vinegar in which it was soaked.
- Set aside two tsp. of the washed garlic slivers for the garnish.
- In a heavy bottomed deep non-stick pan add milk bring it to a boil add the saffron strands and cardamom powder when it reduces to 3/4th of its original quantity add the garlic.
- Reduce the milk to ½ of its original quantity. Add sugar.
- Add the cardamom powder. Mix well.
- In a small pan add clarified butter and sauté the garlic slivers set aside for garnish till crisp and light brown in colour. Place it on a kitchen absorbent paper to remove excess of ghee.
- Serve warm / chilled, as desired, applied with silver leaf and garnished with sautéed garlic.
- If the garlic is not washed thoroughly with hot water, the kheer will curdle.
- You may add slivered almonds , rose water and garnish with dried and edible rose petals, if desired.
- You may prepare this kheer a day in advance, remember to garnish it just before service. This means that you have all the time to enjoy this festive season with your loved ones instead of busy cooking desserts for them.
Chef Reetu Uday Kugaji
Chef, Culinary Expert, Mentor, Food Blogger & Author, Hospitality and Food Consultant.